Jul 16, 2024  
2022-2023 Catalog 
2022-2023 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Tuition/Financial Aid

Tuition & Fees

Financial Aid

Tuition & Fees

Tuition & Residency

Educational costs at Grand Rapids Community College are shared by students and the taxpayers of the State of Michigan. In most cases, students who reside within the Kent Intermediate School District (KISD) pay property taxes that support GRCC. Michigan residents contribute to GRCC through state taxes which helps supplement student tuition. Since we are partially funded by taxpayers, different tuition rates exist for students who are resident, non-resident, and out of state.

A student’s residency classification is established at the time of application for admission to Grand Rapids Community College. The information provided by the student on the Admissions Application is used to determine his/her residency status. It is the responsibility of the student to know his/her residency status and to understand the College’s residency policy.

For more information regarding Residency status and policy questions, please visit Residency Information.

No student will be admitted to classes unless all tuition and fees have been paid. Exceptions will be made only in such instances where necessary arrangements have been made with the Director of the Cashier’s Office.

For payment of tuition and fees, the College will accept cash, check and credit card (MasterCard/Visa/American Express/Discover Card).

Nelnet Payment Plan

Monthly payment plans are available through Nelnet Business Solutions. Students may register through the Online Center. Students must enroll each semester for the Nelnet Payment Plan. If a student does not pay his or her Nelnet agreement in full by the last due date, the student will not be eligible to use the program again for one full year from the time he or she pays the account in full.

Payment Schedule

Please refer to the tuition due dates for current semester at Tuition Due Dates.

Residency Definitions

Legal Residence

The permanent, primary residence where a person intends to return whenever absent from college. (Note:  College or University owned housing is not considered permanent, primary residence.)

Resident Status

A student who has been a resident of the Kent Intermediate School District (KISD) and pays property taxes in support of GRCC for at least six consecutive months prior to the start of the semester.


Students 26 and under who live with their parent(s) or legal guardian and they owns or leases the home within the taxing boundaries of the college, six-month requirement waived.

Non-Resident Status

A student who has been a resident of the State of Michigan for at least six consecutive months prior to the start of the semester but does not meet the definition of Resident Status.

Out-of-State Status

A student who does not meet the definitions of Resident or Non-Resident Status.


A student who temporary entry permission (for example, a Student Visa, Au Pair).

Active Duty Military/Veterans

Please visit residency for active duty/veterans for more information.

Residency Review

Students who believe their residency status has changed or is incorrect may request a review of their records by submitting a Residency Review Form to the GRCC Cashier’s Office along with acceptable documentation.  A Residency Review Form can also be obtained in the Student Financial Services department (formerly Cashier’s Office), 1st Floor RJF Building.

The Residency Review form must be received in the Student Financial Services department (formerly Cashier’s Office) by the end of the first week of the semester for which the change is being requested. Dates will vary for students only attending late-starting classes.  Requests received after the first week of the semester start date will be considered for the following semester. Residency will not be changed for past semesters only current or future semesters.

Acceptable Documentation

For the more information, please visit Acceptable Documentation.

Residency Audit

For more information regarding a residency audit, please visit Residency Information.

Tuition Rates

(Rates are subject to change annually)

For more information on tuition and fees, please visit Tuition and Fees


(Fees are subject to change any time during the academic year.)

For a detailed listing of fees, please visit Tuition and Fees.

Refund Policy

For student refund policy, please visit payments & refunds.  For information on the refund process, please visit Refunds/Bank Mobile Disbursements.

Financial Aid

(616) 234-4030

The GRCC Financial Aid Office staff assists students in obtaining financial resources to pay the educational costs of attending college. Students who require assistance should apply for financial aid by submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and include GRCC’s school code (002267). The federal processor will provide the student with a Student Aid Report (SAR) and will electronically send the SAR data to the GRCC Financial Aid Office. This data will be used by the Financial Aid Office to help determine financial aid eligibility.

General Student Eligibility Requirements

To be considered for most forms of financial aid, a student must meet all of the following requirements:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen (not required for GRCC Foundation Scholarship consideration)
  • Be enrolled as a degree/certificate-seeking student
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • Be registered with Selective Service, if applicable. (Not required for State aid consideration)
  • Not be in default of a federal student loan or owe a repayment of a federal grant
  • Possess a high school diploma or GED. A certificate of completion is acceptable for State aid only.  Financial aid eligibility and processing requirements are subject to change.  Refer to the GRCC Financial Aid home web page for the most up-to-date information.

Financial Aid Priority Date

Students are encouraged to apply for financial aid early to ensure best consideration.  For the 2021-2022 academic year, students may complete the FAFSA beginning October 1, 2020, using 2019 income information.  After submitting the FAFSA, students should review their GRCC Online Center “To Do” list for any additional documentation needed to complete the application process. Students must return all required documentation a minimum of three weeks prior to tuition due date to ensure any aid they are eligible to receive is in place.  Applications and documentation submitted will be processed in the date order received.  Students whose aid is not in place prior to the tuition due date, should plan to pay their tuition and fees with their own funds (or utilize the FACTS Payment Plan) in order to retain their classes.  Requested documentation may be submitted in person or by mail, fax or email.  Many forms can be completed online through the GRCC StudentForms application.  StudentForms is a secure method for students to sign forms electronically.

Financial Aid Office
Grand Rapids Community College
143 Bostwick Avenue NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295

Fax (616) 234-4091

email  financialaid@grcc.edu

Financial Aid Programs

At GRCC, a broad range of financial aid resources is available to students. By combining federal, state, GRCC Foundation and community-based resources, the Financial Aid Office staff will design a financial aid package to meet each student’s financial need as established by their FAFSA. Financial aid resources include scholarships, grants, on-campus employment and loans. Scholarships and grants are considered gift aid that generally does not require repayment, provided students attend and complete their courses.  Student employment and loans are considered self-help aid.  Student loans must be repaid with interest.

Federal Financial Aid

Federal Pell Grant – The maximum annual Pell grant award for the 2021-22 award year is $6495. To apply for a Pell Grant, the student must submit a FAFSA and include GRCC’s school code (002267). The student will then receive a notification from the Financial Aid Office regarding eligibility for the Pell Grant. The exact amount of the grant is based on FAFSA data and determined from a payment schedule published annually by the U.S. Department of Education. Pell awards are prorated based on a student’s enrollment status.

Federal Supplement Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) – These federal grants, ranging from $100 to $1,000 annually, are awarded to students of exceptional financial need. Students are encouraged to complete their FAFSA early for best consideration, as these funds are limited. Priority is given to students who qualify for the Pell Grant.

Federal Direct Subsidized Loans – The subsidized loan is need-based. Loan interest does not accrue during in-school enrollment periods. FAFSA completion is required. Students must complete Entrance Counseling and a Loan Agreement (Master Promissory Note or MPN). Annual subsidized loan limits are $3,500 for the freshman year and $4,500 for the sophomore year.

Students must be enrolled at least half-time (six credits), every semester, to be eligible for a loan. The maximum an undergraduate student may borrow in the subsidized loan program is $23,000.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan Program – The unsubsidized loan is not based on need. Eligibility is determined by subtracting financial aid awarded from GRCC’s cost of attendance. Under the federal direct unsubsidized loan program, interest accrues while enrolled in school, during the grace period, and during any periods of deferment or repayment. Students may defer the interest payments and allow it to be capitalized on their principal. Students selecting this option should be aware that their loan principal will increase based on the amount of that unpaid interest. Repayment of the loan principal begins six months after the student stops attending college at least half-time. FAFSA completion is required. Students must complete Entrance Counseling and a Loan Agreement (Master Promissory Note or MPN). Annual unsubsidized loan limits are $2000 for dependent students and $6000 for independent students. Maximums may be limited based on other aid. Dependent students, whose parents are denied a PLUS (Parent) loan, may be considered for additional unsubsidized loan funds. Students must be at least half-time (six credits), every semester, to be eligible for a loan.

Maximum Aggregate Loan Limits for Undergraduate Students

Dependent - $31,000 (no more than $23,000 can be subsidized loans)

Independent - $57,500 (no more than $23,000 can be subsidized loans)             

Loan terms, sample repayment schedules, and entrance and exit counseling information can be obtained from the Financial Aid Office.  More information about loan repayment can also be found on GRCC’s Financial Literacy/Loan Repayment website.

PLUS Loans (Parent Loans) – Parents can apply for a PLUS loan to help pay their son or daughter’s educational expenses.  The student must be a dependent, undergraduate, enrolled at least half-time in an eligible program, have filed a FAFSA and meet all other eligibility requirements. PLUS loans are available through the Federal Direct Loan Program. For a PLUS loan, parents must have an acceptable credit history and complete a PLUS Loan application and promissory note.

Parents who don’t pass the credit check might still be able to receive a loan if someone, such as a relative or friend, agrees to endorse the loan. An endorser promises to repay the loan if the parent fails to do so. 

Federal Work-Study Program – This program provides part-time jobs to students on campus and with some off-campus community organizations. Students must be enrolled at least half-time and submit a FAFSA to be considered for work-study. The student must contact Student Employment Services (SES) to complete an application and review available job opportunities. SES will notify the Financial Aid Office and request the student’s work-study eligibility be determined.

State Based Aid

All State Programs are tuition-specific and require Michigan residency. If the student is dependent, the parent must also be a Michigan resident.  All Students must complete the FAFSA for State aid consideration.

Michigan Competitive Scholarship - The Michigan Competitive Scholarship (MCS) is based on both financial need and merit.  To be considered, students must have a qualifying SAT score of 1200.  The federal processor must receive the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1.  Students are responsible for notifying the Student Scholarships and Grant Office (SSG) of a change in their college choice.  This can be done through the MiSSG Student Portal or by calling 1-888-4-GRANTS (888-447-2687). The maximum award is to be determined annually by the State of Michigan.

Tuition Incentive Program (TIP) – Eligible students are those who have or have had Michigan Medicaid coverage for 24 months within a 36-consecutive month period as identified by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). Students must begin using TIP within four years of high school completion.  All students must also complete the FAFSA. Visit the Mi-SSG Portal and click on the “Student Portal” button to navigate to the MiSSG student portal and create an account. Additionally, students may be required to submit a copy of their high school diploma and birth certificate to GRCC.  The GRCC Financial Aid Office will inform students via email if these documents will be required.

At GRCC, Phase 1 benefits cover the standard tuition cost of 24 credits each academic year and up to $250 in mandatory fees per semester.  Only 80 credits of benefits are available in Phase 1, even if the student has not completed their degree.  For more information, review the TIP Fact Sheet.

Police Officer and Fire Fighter’s Survivor Tuition Grant (STG) - This grant provides a waiver of tuition at state and public institutions of higher education for children and surviving spouses of Michigan police officers and firefighters killed in the line of duty. For eligibility requirements and additional information, see the STG Fact Sheet

Children of Veterans Tuition Grant (CVTG) - This grant provides undergraduate tuition assistance to children of qualified Michigan veterans who are totally and permanently disabled, MIA, or deceased, due to a service-connected injury or illness.  The renewable award pays a maximum of $2,800 per academic year. An application is required. For additional information please review the CVTG Fact Sheet.

Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (MI GEAR UP) - Recipients must have successfully completed the GearUP! Scholarship six-year program and be nominated. They must also possess a high school diploma, be less than 22 years old, be a resident of Michigan and must use the scholarship within five years of high school graduation.  Scholarship maximum is $1,000 per year and is renewable for three years. For more information, please review the MI GEAR UP Fact sheet.

Fostering Futures Scholarship (FFS) - This scholarship provides eligible foster youth with scholarship funds for tuition, fees, room/board, books and supplies required for enrollment. Students must have been in foster care on or after their 13th birthday to qualify. Please review the Fostering Futures Fact Sheet for more answers to your questions.

Futures for Frontliners (F4F) – Provides tuition-free access to community college for Michiganders without college degrees, who worked as frontline workers in essential industries between April 1 – June 30, 2020, to pursue an associate degree or industry-recognized certificate. The program is intended to give thanks to those who put themselves at risk during our state COVID-19 shutdown to help keep our state running.  The application deadline was December 31, 2020.  F4F is a last dollar scholarship, which means that other forms of aid, such as a Pell grant, must be applied to a student’s account first.  F4F is calculated based on in-district (a.k.a. residential) tuition.  Students who are out of district (non-resident) will have a cost savings, but their associate degree or certificate will not be tuition-free. Students should refer to the GRCC website for renewal information.

Reconnect – This grant is available to students who are 25 years or older who have not yet earned an associate degree or higher.  The program launched in February, 2021.  Students must apply through the State of Michigan and must complete the FAFSA as well.  Reconnect is a last dollar scholarship, which means that other forms of aid, such as a Pell grant, TIP and other program, must be applied to a student’s account first.  Reconnect is calculated based on in-district (a.k.a. residential) tuition.  Students who are out of district (non-resident) will have a cost savings, but their associate degree or certificate will not be tuition-free. Students should refer to the GRCC website for renewal information.

Institutional Aid Programs

GRCC Foundation Scholarships – The Grand Rapids Community College Foundation awards more than $1,000,000 in scholarships to nearly 700 students annually. Scholarships are awarded based on financial need, merit and other criteria.  You may apply online. The priority deadline for the 2019-2020 year is March 15th, 2019.

Occupational Support Grant – These grants are available to students who are enrolled in occupational curriculum, show financial need, and meet other Special Populations requirements. Students must submit a FAFSA and contact the GRCC Program Director of Occupational and Disability Support for application materials.

Outside Scholarship Opportunities

Outside Scholarships – Scholarship announcements sent to the Financial Aid Office from civic organizations, foundations and private sources are posted under Scholarship Opportunities on our financial aid website. More information can be obtained at these two search sites: “The Smart Student Guide to Financial Aid” and also at fastweb!  One other site you may find helpful is “Inceptia

Transfer Scholarships – Transfer scholarships are awarded by colleges and universities on the basis of financial need and/or academic achievement. Transfer scholarships available to GRCC students are posted on our financial aid home page under “Scholarship Opportunities”.

Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver – Tuition waivers are available for students who are 1/4 or more Native American blood quantum as certified by their Tribal Enrollment Department, enrolled citizens of a U.S. federally recognized Tribe, and legal residents of the State of Michigan for not less than 12 consecutive months. Students should contact the Michigan Department of Civil Rights for additional information and application materials. The tuition waiver does not cover fee or book/supply charges.

Alternative Student Loans - GRCC encourages students considering alternative or private student loans to research multiple lenders and their terms. While we do not provide information to students regarding private lenders or have preferred lender arrangements we will certify private loan applications that are submitted to GRCC by students via their lender. 

Please note: The Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 requires that before a private educational lender may finalize a private education loan for a student in attendance at an institution of higher education, the private lender must obtain the signed, completed self-certification form. Most lenders will provide this form directly to students. If your lender does not, you can obtain a Private Education Loan Applicant Self-Certification form here.

Method of Payment (Cashiers & Bookstore)

Students who have been awarded grants, scholarships, and/or Federal Direct Student Loans will have their awards credited to their account once all required steps have been completed. The eBill will reflect charges and awarded financial aid. Students will need to make payment arrangements for any balance aid does not cover. If a credit balance exists, up to $600 will be available to charge against at the GRCC Bookstore prior to the beginning of each semester through the second week of school and up to $200 of this amount can be transferred to the Student’s Raider card. Refunds occur only after all charges for tuition, fees, books and supplies, and RaiderCard transfers are paid and you have begun and maintained attendance in one or all of your courses.

Frequency of Financial Aid Refunds

All financial aid payments will be applied on a semester of enrollment basis.

Your first step is to choose how you would like to receive your refund using the BankMobile process. Refunds will be deposited to the bank account of your choosing.

Refunds are processed and issued approximately 30 days after the start of the semester. You must be attending classes and meet all eligibility requirements to receive a refund. Any withdrawals from your classes or late starting classes may delay refunds. If you are only attending and receiving a  one term loan at GRCC, it will be split into 2 disbursements and your refund may be delayed until we have disbursed the 2nd half of your loan around the midpoint of the term.

If tuition, fees and bookstore charges are greater than the first disbursement, you will not receive a refund until the second disbursement.

Disbursement and refund information is available at our Financial Aid and Scholarship home page under “Disbursement and Refund Process”.

Calculation of Financial Need

GRCC is a commuter college with no dormitory facilities; therefore, the college has no charges for room or board. However, for the calculation of financial need only, the College uses reasonable Room/Board, Books/Personal and Transportation figures based on MIT Living Wage Calculations for the State of Michigan.

The figures for 2020-2021 were:

Room/Board (living with parent) $3,868

Room/Board (not with parent)    $7,736

Books/Personal                          $2,754

Transportation                            $1,269

These figures are used solely for determining financial aid and are not charges billed to the student.

Federal Return of Funds

Title IV federal financial aid funds are awarded under the assumption that a student will remain in classroom attendance for the entire period (semester) for which funds were awarded. If a financial aid recipient withdraws from school after beginning attendance, the amount of Title IV grant or loan assistance earned by the student must be determined. Based on this calculation, students who receive federal financial aid and do not successfully complete any of their classes during a semester could be responsible to repay a portion of the aid they received. Students who do not begin attendance in classes are not eligible for federal financial aid and must repay all aid received.

This policy is available to review at our website under “Withdrawing/Failing Courses

Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress

Policy Statement

Federal regulations require students to make satisfactory academic progress toward the completion of a certificate or an associate’s degree to be eligible for financial aid. Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) will be reviewed at the end of each semester.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Course and Credit Requirements

You must complete at least 67 percent of all attempted credit hours with passing grades, whether or not financial aid was received for those credits.

Passing letter grades: D- and above.

Letter grades that are not considered to be passing include: E, I, X, V, W, DR, WP, WF, N, and NS.*  Withdrawal-related grades of X, W, DR, WP, WF, N, and NS are considered unsuccessful completions, but do not impact grade point average (GPA). Note that X, WP, WF, N, and NS grades are no longer issued. Only E grades are considered in the GPA calculation.