Jul 16, 2024  
2018-2019 Catalog 
2018-2019 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Records/Registrar

A group of GRCC Students

Student Records & Registar


(616) 234-4226

Articulation is a process where students may earn college credits for certain courses they take in high school or in non-credit GRCC courses. It provides an opportunity for high school or non-credit GRCC courses and community college courses to blend, granting equivalent college credit to students for achieving specific outcomes in identified courses within their school district.

Students who successfully complete articulated career and technical education programs in secondary schools or GRCC non-credit programs that have a signed articulation agreement with GRCC are granted college credit for specific courses should they decide to continue their education at Grand Rapids Community College. The amount of transfer credit available will depend on the specific program involved. The high school instructor or GRCC non-credit program instructor must evaluate the student, complete all forms, and send the information to the Enrollment Center. Application for credits must be made within two years of high school graduation or completion of a GRCC non-credit program. If a student is transferring to another college after attending GRCC, the student should check with their desired transfer college to see if the credits are eligible to transfer.

For more information and to view articulation agreements, please visit the at grcc.edu/articulation.


Grand Rapids Community College (GRCC) offers a variety of options for registration.

The college year is composed of two semesters and a summer session. Units of academic study are recorded in credit-hours.

  1. Web-based registration is available 24-hours a day, seven days a week, at grcc.edu/onlinecenter. Assistance with Web registration is available at computer labs across campus and at the IT Support Desk at (616) 234-4357.
  2. Students may register in person at the Admissions and Enrollment Center, first floor, Main Building.
  3. Students may register in person at the Lakeshore Campus.

Cancelled Classes–Notification

When the College no longer offers a class for which a student has registered, a communication will be sent to the student’s GRCC email address with notification about the cancellation. In most cases, recommendations will be made about an alternate choice.

Cancelled Class–Additional Information

Grand Rapids Community College recognizes its obligation to provide high-quality learning experiences for the purpose of achieving the learning outcomes in each course. In the event that a class in cancelled due to circumstances beyond the control of the College, those learning outcomes will be accomplished through the discretionary adjustments made by the faculty member assigned to the class.

Adding Classes

A student may add a class with an open seat as long as the class has not met twice. There may be additional restrictions at the discretion of the College. Please note that regular attendance including the first session is extremely important to succeed in class.

Withdrawing from Classes

It is the student’s responsibility to go through the process of withdrawing from a class they are no longer intending to take.  Please be aware that withdrawing from courses can affect financial aid, veteran benefits, prerequisites and other requirements.  For additional information, refer to the Grading Policy – Withdrawal Process in the catalog.

Registration Dates

Students will be able to enroll in the next semester based on the number of earned credits.  Further information can be found online at Registration Dates.

Minimum Class Enrollment

Grand Rapids Community College reserves the right to cancel any class in which too few students enroll.

Official Transcript Requests

Students may submit an official transcript request through the GRCC Online Student Center.  Students who attended GRCC prior to Fall 1969 should fill out a paper transcript request form found online at transcripts.  All requests should be made two weeks in advance of the time they are needed.  Further information can be found online at transcripts.

Name Changes

A student name may be changed with a State driver’s license, Federal I.D., or court paperwork documenting the name change. Student workers must do this at the Student Employment Office or Payroll Office. Students who prefer to use a name other than their legal name throughout their time at GRCC may submit a preferred name change request. For more information please visit preferred name.

Students receiving a diploma or certificate may only use a legal name or variation thereof in accordance with State and Federal regulations.

Student Academic Grievance Procedure

Purpose: To resolve a grade dispute between a student and an instructor in a timely manner, with academic integrity.

Please refer to grcc.edu/grievance for the official grievance process.

Independent Study

Reading or Independent Study Courses are offered in most disciplines. These courses are numbered 298 and 299 in the disciplines in which they are offered. No more than two credit hours total will be given for the 298, 299 sequence.

Before registering for the Independent Study, the student is to make arrangements according to these guidelines, and initiate the process with the Department Head/Program Director of the academic department.

1.  For the student:

A.      The student initiates the proposal.

B.      The student is responsible for describing the proposal.

C.     The student states the objectives in measurable terms.

D.     The student describes the way in which he/she intends to accomplish his/her objectives.

E.      The student produces something measurable according to the stated objectives. The production might be a paper, a work of art, a musical composition, a movie, a recording or the like.

F.      Tuition must be paid or no grade or credit is given. The student must pay tuition before starting the study.

2.      For the faculty directing the project:

A.      The faculty member may assist the student in the clarification and construction of the description, objectives, and the way of completing the project.

B.      The faculty member will supervise the project to see that the instructional time per credit hour requirement is fulfilled. One credit hour represents 42 hours of the combination of class time and student study/ preparation time.

C.     The faculty member will grade the final project according to the prevailing grade norms.

3.      General Guidelines:

A.      Any faculty member may refuse to supervise independent studies.

B.      The written proposal for all independent studies should be clear and to the point.

C.     All subjects or proposals should relate to the subject matter area under which the study is taken.

Project Seminars

Project Seminars allow two or more students to study a topic that is not included and/or studied in depth in the discipline’s regular course offerings.  The Project Seminar is different from Independent Study in that students in the Project Seminars do not work independently outside of a classroom or laboratory, but under the supervision of an instructor. 

Project Seminars in any department are not necessarily the same from year to year since they are intended to meet changing conditions and demands. Project Seminars may be repeated. No more than 10 Project Seminar credits will apply toward graduation requirements.

Limits and Repeatability of Independent Studies and Project Seminars

Students may not submit more than 12 credits of Project Seminar and Independent Study courses in any combination toward fulfillment of the requirements for any associate degree. Project Seminar courses are normally numbered 291, 292, 293, 294, and Independent Study courses are 298, 299.

Further, no more than two credits of the above-mentioned 12 may be in the Independent Study format. Any Project Seminar and Independent Study course may be repeated for credit up to the above limits.

Transfer and Test Credit

Grand Rapids Community College (GRCC) abides by transfer policies created by the governing bodies of the institution, in accordance with all federal compliance guidelines. GRCC Transfer Polices incorporate policies regarding credit awarded from accredited institutions, foreign institutions, experiential learning and non-traditional adult learning programs. GRCC offers full disclosure of all transfer policies. All GRCC Transfer Policies contain a statement of criteria established by the institution regarding transfer of credit earned at another institution. Incoming transfer courses will only be accepted if the course was passed with a grade of C (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) or better, was completed at regionally accredited institution, and the course is between the 100 and 300 level. Transfer courses above the 300 level may be accepted toward graduation only by exception.


(616) 234-4129

GRCC is committed to offering veteran students necessary information, helpful resources to encourage and empower academic and personal success. To use U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) educational benefits at GRCC, a veteran student must (1) be fully admitted to GRCC and into a VA-approved curriculum, (2) apply to the VA for their benefits, and (3) meet the eligibility requirements established by the VA. It is ultimately the veteran student’s decision which benefit option is the best for them.  Veteran students forced to stop out for a period greater than two years due to military obligations, other than voluntary military enlistment, may request an exception to return under their previous catalog.

Veteran students can only be certified for VA benefits for courses required for their academic program and/or classes required by GRCC.

Notify the Veterans Services Coordinator immediately regarding all schedule changes.  Students must report any unsatisfactory grade or risk delay and/or forfeiture of VA educational benefits.

GRCC also accepts Tuition Assistance (TA) through the different military branches and the MyCAA program for spouses of active duty military.  Students should notify the Veterans Services Coordinator if they will be using either of these benefits.

Standards of Progress: The Veterans

Veterans are subject the GRCC Academic Standing policy which includes possible probation and suspension. grcc.edu/student-records/academic-suspension

For additional information about policies and procedures visit grcc.edu/veterans