May 25, 2024  
2015-2016 Catalog-EXPIRED 

Tuition/Financial Aid

Tuition & Fees

Financial Aid

Tuition & Fees

Tuition & Residency

Educational costs at Grand Rapids Community College are shared by students and the taxpayers of the State of Michigan. Property taxes paid by residents of the Kent Intermediate School District (KISD) and state taxes paid by Michigan residents supplement student tuition. Therefore, different tuition rates exist for students who legally reside (1) in the KISD, (2) outside the KISD but within Michigan, and (3) outside the State of Michigan.

A student’s residency classification is established at the time of application for admission to Grand Rapids Community College. The information provided by the student on the Admissions Application is used to determine his/her residency status. It is the responsibility of the student to know his/her residency status and to understand the College’s residency policy. Residency status and policy questions should be addressed to the GRCC Cashier’s Office.

No student will be admitted to classes unless all tuition and fees have been paid. Exceptions will be made only in such instances where necessary arrangements have been made with the Associate Director of the Cashier’s Office.

For payment of tuition and fees, the College will accept cash, check and credit card (MasterCard/Visa/American Express/Discover Card).

FACTS Payment Plan

Monthly payment plans are available through Nelnet Business Solutions. Students may register at Students must enroll each semester for the FACTS Payment Plan. If a student does not pay his or her FACTS agreement in full by the last due date, the student will not be eligible to use the program again for one full year from the time he or she pays the account in full.

Payment Schedule

Please refer to due dates for current semester payment schedule.

Residency Definitions

Legal Residence

The permanent, primary residence where a person intends to return whenever absent from college. (Note:  College owned housing is not considered permanent, primary residence.)

Resident Status

A student who has been a resident of the Kent Intermediate School District (KISD) for at least six consecutive months.


A student who lives with his/her parents and/or legal guardian and they own or lease the home within the boundaries of the KISD.

Non-Resident Status

A student who has been a resident of the State of Michigan for at least six consecutive months but does not meet the definition of Resident Status.

Out-of-State Status

A student who does not meet the definitions of Resident or Non-Resident Status.


A student who temporary entry permission (for example, a Student Visa, Au Pair).

Residency Review

Students who believe their residency status has changed or is incorrect may request a review of their records by submitting a Residency Review Form to the GRCC Cashier’s Office along with acceptable documentation.  A Residency Review Form can also be obtained in the Cashier’s Office, Room 154 Main Building. 

The Residency Review form must be received in the Cashier’s Office prior to the start date of the semester for which the change is being requested. Requests received after the semester start date will be considered for the following semester and will not be considered for previous semesters.

Acceptable Documentation

The College will accept as proof of legal residency a valid driver’s license or State of Michigan ID with a dated change of address affixed to the back (if applicable) plus one of the following:

  1. A dated voter registration card
  2. A dated lease agreement
  3. Proof of purchase (copy of Buy-Sell Agreement) of home for residence within the KISD
  4. Utility bills with the student’s name and address for each of the six months and dated not less than six months
  5. Verifiable rent receipts. If rent receipts are not available, a notarized letter from the landlord will be accepted. Verifiable rent receipts must contain all the following information:
    1. The address of the property being rented.
    2. The date of each payment.
    3. Signature, address, and phone number of the landlord.

In all cases, the start date of establishing residency must be six months prior to the start date of the semester for which the change is being requested.

For Acceptable Documentation go to:

Residency Audit

Grand Rapids Community College will regularly perform verification of residency information. Students who have misrepresented information or have falsified documents will be subject to disciplinary action.

Tuition Rates

At the time of publication, the tuition and fee rates for the current academic year were not yet approved by the GRCC Board of Trustees. Please refer to for the most current tuition and fee information.


(Fees are subject to change any time during the academic year.)

For a detailed listing of Fees go to: www.

Refund Policy

See Payments & Refunds at

Financial Aid

(616) 234-4030

The GRCC Financial Aid Office staff assists eligible students in obtaining financial resources to pay the educational costs of attending college. The College supports the concept that the student and his/her parent(s) or spouse have the primary responsibility of providing financial resources for education. Students who believe their financial resources to be insufficient should apply for financial aid by submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Federal Renewal Application to the Federal Processing Center, requesting that GRCC receive their application information. The Federal Processor will provide the student with a Student Aid Report (SAR) and will electronically send the SAR data to the GRCC Financial Aid Office. The amount of aid offered will be determined by the information on the SAR as well as by the availability of funds.

Student Eligibility—General Requirements

Many policies regarding financial aid eligibility and processing are currently under review by both the United States Department of Education and GRCC. Refer to the GRCC Financial Aid web page for the latest information.

To be considered for financial aid (other than scholarships), a student must meet all of the following requirements:

  • Demonstrate financial need
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Be enrolled as a degree/certificate-seeking student or be preparing to transfer
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • Be registered with Selective Service (if applicable)
  • Not be in default of a federal student loan or owe a repayment of a federal grant
  • Possess a high school diploma or GED. In some career pathways, students who do not possess a high school diploma or GED may qualify by passing an ability to benefit test.

To assist students in successfully passing the College assessment test, students are encouraged to enroll in a GED preparatory program with their local school district. Contact a Learning Corner for more information regarding these programs.

Financial Aid Application Deadline

Students are encouraged to apply for financial aid by early February to ensure best consideration. A student must have a complete, correct financial aid file in the Financial Aid Office on July 15, to be awarded aid for tuition payment prior to the start of Fall classes. Files completed after this date will be considered “late” and will be processed in the order of their receipt. Students with “late” financial aid files should plan to pay their tuition and fees with their own funds at the time they become due. Information and applications for grants, scholarships, employment programs, and loans should be addressed to:

Financial Aid Office
Grand Rapids Community College
143 Bostwick Avenue NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295

Financial Aid Programs

At GRCC a broad range of financial aid resources is available to students. By combining federal, state, College and community-based resources, the Financial Aid Office staff will design a financial aid package to meet the student’s financial need as established by the SAR. The financial aid resources include scholarships, grants, on-campus employment and loans. Students must repay loans; but scholarships, grants and employment are considered gifts or earnings and need not be repaid.

  1. Programs not based on need – Each program requires different application procedures. Eligibility is determined jointly by the Financial Aid Office and the agency or department funding the program.
  2. Programs based on need – Students are required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Eligibility is determined by the FAFSA data and the Financial Aid Office. Continued eligibility is based upon the student’s academic progress and the FAFSA data for the new year.
  3. Special programs – These require students to apply directly to the agency or department responsible for determining eligibility and funding.

Programs Not Based on Need

GRCC Foundation Scholarships – The GRCC Foundation awarded $541,300 to over 694 students in the 2013-2014 academic year. Most of the scholarships awarded by the Foundation are based upon academic ability; some are based upon financial need. Students are encouraged to apply for scholarships regardless of their current academic record. Applications for Foundation scholarships awarded from the Financial Aid Office are available from the Financial Aid Office beginning in January and are due by March 15. Applications for Foundation scholarships awarded by someone outside the Financial Aid Office can be obtained by calling the contact person listed in the scholarship booklet. Booklets can be accessed at

Outside Scholarships – Scholarship announcements sent to the Financial Aid Office from civic organizations, foundations and private sources are posted outside the Financial Aid Office. More information can be obtained on the Internet at

Transfer Scholarships – Graduate transfer scholarships are awarded by the respective colleges and universities on the basis of financial need and/or academic achievement. Transfer scholarships available to GRCC students are posted outside the Financial Aid Office from November through April.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan Program – The unsubsidized loan is not based on need. Eligibility is determined by taking the cost of attending GRCC and subtracting any financial aid the student has been awarded. Under the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan Program, however, the student must pay the interest on the loan while enrolled in school, during the grace period, and during any periods of deferment or repayment. Students may defer the interest payments and allow them to be capitalized on their principal. Students selecting this option should be aware that their loan principal will increase based on the amount of that unpaid interest. Repayment of the loan principal begins six months after the student stops attending college at least half-time. To be considered for this loan, students must first complete the FAFSA, listing GRCC to receive the form. Students need to complete entrance counseling, and a Master Promissory Note, at

Loan terms, sample repayment schedules, and entrance and exit counseling information can be obtained from the Financial Aid Office.

Additional Unsubsidized Loans for Independent Students – Independent students will be offered additional amounts under the Direct Loan Program.

PLUS Loans (Parent Loans) – Parents can apply for a PLUS Loan to help pay your education expenses if you are a dependent undergraduate student enrolled at least half time in an eligible program and have filed a FAFSA. PLUS Loans are available through the Federal Direct Loan Program. For a Direct PLUS Loan, parents must have an acceptable credit history and complete a Direct PLUS Loan application and promissory note at

Also, parents generally will be required to pass a credit check. Those who don’t pass the credit check might still be able to receive a loan if someone, such as a relative or friend who is able to pass the credit check, agrees to endorse the loan. An endorser promises to repay the loan if the parents fail to do so. Parents might also qualify for a loan without passing the credit check if they can demonstrate that extenuating circumstances exist. You and your parents must also meet other general eligibility requirements for federal student financial aid.

Programs Based on Need

Federal Pell Grant – This program is the main source of federal financial aid funds, awarding up to $5775 in 2015-2016. Students who are eligible to receive a Pell Grant will be notified directly by the federal government. To apply for a Pell Grant, the student must submit a FAFSA and request that GRCC receive the application. The student will then receive a notification from the Financial Aid Office regarding eligibility for the Pell Grant. The exact amount of the grant is determined from a payment schedule published by the U.S. Department of Education.

Federal Supplement Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) – These federal grants, ranging from $100 to $1,000, are awarded to students of exceptional financial need who, without the grant, would be unable to continue their education. No specific grade point average is required for renewal. However, students must be making satisfactory academic progress to remain eligible and must apply for financial aid before funds are exhausted. Priority is given to students who qualify for the Pell Grant program.

Special Populations Tuition Reimbursement Grant – These grants are available to students who are enrolled in occupational curriculums, show financial need, and meet other Special Populations requirements. Students must submit a FAFSA and contact the GRCC Program Director of Occupational and Disability Support for application materials.

Federal College Work Study Program – This program provides part-time jobs to students on campus. Students must be enrolled at least half-time and submit a FAFSA to be considered for work study. After an award is made, the student must contact the Job Placement Office for available job opportunities.

Federal Direct Subsidized Loans – With a subsidized loan, the government will pay the loan interest during in-school enrollment periods. Qualifying for the subsidized loan is determined from the FAFSA. Students need to complete entrance counseling and a Promissory Note at Loan limits are $5,500 for the freshman year and $6,500 for the sophomore year.

The Federal Direct Loan program is heavily regulated and has specific requirements that must been met before the student can receive a loan disbursement. Loan funds cannot be utilized until all necessary documents have been received and the student is registered for at least six credit hours. To use a Federal Direct Loan to help pay for Fall semester tuition, the student must complete all necessary documents before the tuition deadline.

Special Programs

Tuition Incentive Program (TIP) – This Michigan program is designed to encourage high school students to graduate and go to college. Students must apply for TIP prior to their high school graduation, and the Family Independence Agency determines eligibility. TIP will pay 24 hours of tuition each academic year and some fees for students who don’t live in a different community college district. TIP eligibility expires four years after the student graduates from high school or earns 80 credit hours (whichever comes first).

Native American Tuition Waiver – The State of Michigan has provided funds which permit tuition waivers for all Native Americans who can certify 25 percent or more Indian blood. Students should contact the Michigan Civil Rights Department for application materials. They must also pay their required fees and be enrolled in a degree/certificate program.

Method of Payment

Students who have been awarded grants, scholarships, and/or Federal Direct Student Loans will have their awards credited to their account. Any remaining funds up to $900.00 will be transferred to the GRCC Bookstore one week prior to the beginning of each semester and will remain on the Bookstore account through the first week of school. Any funds remaining after the Bookstore charges have been deducted will be available to students after confirmation of participation in classes.

Frequency of Financial Aid Payments

All financial aid payments will be applied on a semester of enrollment basis.

Calculation of Financial Need

GRCC is a commuter college with no dormitory facilities; therefore, the college has no charges for room or board. However, for the calculation of financial need only, the College uses reasonable Room/Board, Books/Personal and Transportation figures established by the Michigan Department of Education.

The figures for 2014-2015 were:

Room/Board $4,194  
Books/Personal $1,722  
Transportation $1494  

These figures are used solely for determining financial aid and are not charges billed to the student.

Federal Return of Funds

This policy is available to review at

Federal financial aid recipients who withdraw from all their classes prior to the end of a payment period or period of enrollment or fail to earn a passing grade in any class during a semester are subject to the Federal Return of Funds Policy. This policy determines the amount of federal aid students earn based on the amount of time they were enrolled for the semester. Federal aid will be reduced and students will be required to repay both the federal financial aid programs and GRCC for the amounts returned to the programs. Students who fail to make arrangements to repay the programs within 45 days of notification will be reported as over payments to the U.S. Department of Education. Students in overpayment are ineligible for future financial aid at any institution.

Examples of completed forms for the Federal Return of Funds calculation are availableat . Students are encouraged to review these examples prior to withdrawing from classes.

Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress

Receiving Financial Aid

This policy is available to review at

Federal regulations require students to make satisfactory academic progress toward the completion of a certificate or an associate’s degree to be eligible for continued financial aid. Satisfactory Academic Progress will be reviewed at the end of each semester.