Jul 17, 2018
GRCC Job Training Choices: (non-credit)
This Job Training program will take place at the construction site, where students will be building a new home. Students will have hands-on learning and application about the entire process of residential building including blue print reading, site layout, concrete, carpentry, door/window installation, roofing, siding, wiring, plumbing and interior finishing. Graduates will be qualified for employment in the residential construction industry. Prerequisite: This advanced program is recommended for students that have completed the GRCC Construction Trades program or other similar construction program. An assessment will be provided to interested students that are unsure of their construction skills.
The Student should demonstrate reading and math skills. One should also possess the ability to work with others. Good hand/eye coordination and manual dexterity are also recommended.
See Job Training Website
- Identify key building materials
- Complete a site layout using blueprints and elevations
- Operate hand and power tools
- Observe installing of concrete foundation and complete flat work
- Construct floor, wall, ceiling, and roof framing
- Demonstrate roofing applications
- Apply windows, exterior doors, and finishes
- Identify thermal and moisture protection systems
- Measure, cut-out, and install stairway
- Install interior finishes: doors, windows, floor, ceiling, and cabinets
Contact Information: Job Training
Gainful Employment Disclosure
Grand Rapids Community College has been committed to creating an educated workforce by offering occupational programs that lead to gainful employment. We invite you to learn the job outlook for the Residential Construction, Certificate of Completion program, our completion rates, and financial cost associated with completion.