Feb 21, 2024  
2011-2013 Catalog-EXPIRED 

Pre-Professional Secondary Education, A.A.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: GRCC Curricula

(Code 803)

Suggested GRCC Program:

Associate in Arts

Students seeking certification in secondary education must follow the recommended course of study provided by the transfer institution. To become a state certified teacher in Michigan, a student must obtain a bachelor’s degree; pass the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification: Basic Skills; and before receiving a teaching certificate, pass the Michigan Content Test in the selected major and minor(s).

Not all colleges and universities offer every teachable major and minor. Students should check with their intended transfer institution to be sure that institution offers their desired major and minor. Also, most colleges of education have requirements for admission and completion of their teacher certification program that are unique to that institution.

Required Core courses by most transfer institutions:


Science/Math (must have one lab science course)

Fitness/Wellness Activities

Professional Core

Additional Information:

* Be sure to check with specific transfer institution to see if this course is accepted.

Students should consult with transfer institutions about specific courses at GRCC that will fulfill major and minor requirements.

It is the responsibility of all students to contact the college or university to which they wish to transfer in order to verify transfer credits. Each institution reserves the right to make changes in transfer requirements without prior notification.This is a guide of possible courses for the two years at GRCC.

All teacher education students are encouraged and welcome to attend the Teacher Education Seminars and all other events held monthly on the GRCC campus. The activities are posted in all College bulletins. For more information regarding any aspect of Teacher Education as well as to explore the scholarships available for future teachers, please stop by the Education Department in Room 266, Main Building, or call (616) 234-3380.

Transfer Opportunities:

The Transfer Guide for many bachelor’s degree majors offered at Michigan colleges and universities is available at the Counseling and Career Center and online at www.grcc.edu.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: GRCC Curricula