Applying to Graduate
Students intending to graduate must submit a Graduation Application when the student is within the last two semesters of completing all academic program (major) and general graduation requirements by visiting www.grcc.edu/graduationapplication. For more information about graduation go to www.grcc.edu/graduate. For more information on Commencement activites visit grcc.edu/studentaffairs/commencement
Grand Rapids Community College, like most colleges and universities across the country, sets its own graduation requirements. The graduation requirements are specific to the degree or certificate being sought. Students are responsible to make sure they fulfill these requirements in order to graduate.
Students who intend to transfer to four-year colleges or universities to pursue a bachelor’s degree must also know the requirements of the institution to which they plan to transfer. Satisfying GRCC requirements does not necessarily fulfill the requirements of the other institution. Proper planning makes it possible to satisfy GRCC requirements, as well as those of the transfer institution.
Since some GRCC classes are not intended for transfer credit and each four-year college or university decides which courses it will accept for transfer credit, it must not be presumed that a student who has been awarded the Associate of Arts Degree from GRCC will always be given junior status at the four-year college or university.
To be awarded an associate’s degree at Grand Rapids Community College, students must:
- Have completed at least 60 credits of course work (some academic programs may require more than 60 credits).
- Have completed at least 15 credits of course work at GRCC.
- Have completed the coursework outlined in the GRCC catalog for the program in which they are enrolled.
- Have earned a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 in all course work completed at GRCC.
- Have earned at least one Wellness (WE) credit. A maximum of two Wellness credits may be applied toward graduation unless they are specified as a program requirement.
- Have earned credit for PS 110 .
- Have earned at least six credits of English composition if seeking the A.A., A.S., A.F.A., A.B., A.M., A.N., and A.G.S degrees.
- Have earned credit for the appropriate general education Group Distribution Requirements for the degree they are seeking.
No courses below 100 level will be used toward graduation requirements, including the minimum number of credits that need to be completed.